First things first: my brother got a puppy and look how adorable he is!!! His name is Ren. On a very much related note, I am unfortunately realizing that if we ever get a puppy of our own, I am probably going to be one of those annoying dog moms who is sure that their dog is the cutest and most intelligent and that everyone wants to know about it.
Here are some other (less cute) things I’ve been enjoying these days:
1. The Kitchen House: A coworker recommended this book to me and I legitimately could not put it down. Josh and I took a 4 hour road trip a couple weekends ago and I think I read this book the entire way, stopping only to express my excitement/sadness/disbelief at how the story line was unfolding. I’m not going to spoil anything, but basically the premise is that an orphaned white girl becomes an indentured servant on a plantation and lives in the “kitchen house” with African American slaves, who become her family. It is a tearjerker, let me warn you, but also such a beautiful story of family and loyalty and all that good stuff. Talking about it makes me want to read it again!
2. Bruegger’s Bagels: Last weekend I drove my sister to the airport and she treated me to breakfast! We both got what we consider to be The Classic, because our mom used to order this sandwich there so often. It’s a toasted (crucial) rosemary and olive oil bagel with bacon, egg, and cheese. I also got their cold brew which was amaaazing.
3. Blue Apron: A friend of Josh’s gave us a promo code and we ended up getting three free meals from here- pork burgers, an Asian chicken dish, and falafel pitas. They have all been so so tasty! They do take quite a bit of prep work in my opinion, but that could be because I’m used to throwing some ingredients into a crockpot and hoping for the best. I doubt we will order Blue Apron again in the future just because of the cost, but for now it’s been a fun way to mix things up!
4. Financial Peace University: This is a financial planning class we’ve been taking through our church, and I think it’s safe to say that we are becoming total budgeting nerds. It’s to the point where last week we almost (ALMOST) walked up on stage during class to dramatically cut up our credit card. Say what you want about Dave Ramsey’s extremism, but his program gets people out of debt (hi, student loans), and we can’t argue with that. Plus, the program is based on Scripture and I love seeing how God’s truth is weaved into every aspect of our lives, including finances. If you need us, we’ll be off logging every penny spent into our Every Dollar app.
5. Bar Louie: There is nothing special about this restaurant in and of itself (in my humble opinion, anyway), but on Tuesday nights they do $5 burgers + fries/tots! I am all about a deal (see above) so I was pretty pumped when I found this out. I went last week with some friends and got the Philly burger + fries. Perfect for a girls’ night orrrr just when you don’t feel like cooking on a Tuesday. 😉
Have a great weekend/week and don’t forget to celebrate daylight savings aka that SPRING is coming!