It’s Friday, friends! Let’s celebrate! I feel like I had to really fight for my joy this week, but I think that’s just how life is sometimes. I’m realizing more and more how much of a discipline it is to make space for cultivating gratitude, joy, and peace. I recently read a quote by Mike Foster that said, “Life is messy, hard, and weird. We don’t have to act surprised anymore.” Preach! Anywho, here are a few things making me happy lately:
1. Kids’ fiction books. I read Heidi (such a sweet little story) and am now making my way through the Little House on the Prairie books. I am so into them! I find that kids’ fiction is such a fun escape.
2. All the Light We Cannot See. Speaking of books, this is the best fiction book I’ve read in a long time. It’s set during World War II and intertwines the stories of a young blind French girl and a German soldier. I don’t want to spoil anything but just trust me when I say this is an extremely riveting/compelling/creative/all-the-good-adjectives story!
3. Siggi’s. I recently told a patient that I had been wanting to try this yogurt, and the next day her husband brought me in a whole bunch of them! So sweet and thoughtful! So far I have tried blueberry, lingonberry and strawberry, mixed berry and acai, and coconut. My favorite is probably the coconut, with blueberry a close second. They are pretty tasty on their own, but my favorite way to eat them is topped with lots of fruit/nuts/granola.
4. How I Built This. I am always looking for new podcasts, and this one is a winner. I’ve only listened to a couple so far, but they are so inspiring and remind me that it’s okay to dream big and take risks. Always a much needed reminder for my play-it-safe, cautious self!
5. Teeccino. You guys. I gave up caffeine for a whole week and lived to tell the tale. I a) wanted to see if I could do it, and b) wanted to see if it improved the quality of my sleep. Results? Yes to both! I’ve partially returned to my caffeinated ways, drinking tea most days and saving coffee for only an occasional thing. I love the taste of coffee and don’t want to fully give it up. Anyway, during my caffeine-free week I drank Teeccino in the mornings and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Don’t get me wrong- it is not coffee (although it is marketed as a “caffeine-free herbal coffee”… isn’t herbal coffee an oxymoron?). If you can appreciate this tea for what it is without expecting it to taste like a Starbucks latte, then it’s pretty delicious! It can be kind of difficult to track down, but I ended up finding it at Earth Fare.
Two of our good friends are coming into town later today, so I’m really looking forward to that. Hope everyone finds something fun and relaxing to do this weekend!